Natural looking Hair transplants
What is Botox?
Botox, or botulinum toxin, is an injectable treatment that is primarily targeted to treat wrinkles, fine lines and creases on the face. It can also be used as a non-permanent facial contouring treatment to slim down your profile. Botox is more widely known as an effective anti-aging product for improving the appearance of your skin. Botox is able to treat signs of advanced aging as it promotes collagen production and skin elasticity. In Singapore, Botox is used to temporarily give patients a younger and tighter look.
Dr Janna Joethy,
Hair Transplant Specialist
Frustrated with Hair Loss? You're Not Alone, And I Want To Help You.
Each day you look in the mirror and see less and less of the youthful, vibrant you. Hair loss can feel like a constant battle—against time, against nature, even against yourself. But what if you could actually win this battle?
Hi My Name is Dr Janna Joethy,
I’m here to offer some solutions and advice that can help you. Schedule Appointment with Me Now
I have been helping patients with hair loss for more than a decade.
My mission is to help patients achieve a fuller head of natural hair so they can live happier lives. No more hiding, no more frustration. At Nassim Plastic Surgery, I use the FUE Hair Transplant technique to make this vision a reality.
What Is FUE Hair Transplant?
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is a type of hair transplant surgery that involves removing individual hair follicles from a part of the body, known as the 'donor area,' and transplanting them into areas that are experiencing hair loss or thinning, called the 'recipient area.' This procedure is less invasive than the older Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) method, which involves removing a strip of scalp from the donor area.
One of the key advantages of FUE over older methods is the absence of a linear scar, making it a popular choice - especially for those who prefer shorter hairstyles. However, the procedure may be time-consuming and could require multiple sessions depending on the extent of hair loss.
The transplanted hairs may fall out within a few weeks but grow back permanently in the months following the procedure, blending naturally with the existing hair.
Who is the Right Fit for FUE Hair Transplant?
There are many stages of hair loss - ranging from early to advanced. After having a look at your hairline, we will discuss the treatment options in detail and make sure this procedure is the right solution for you.
Why FUE Hair Transplant Might Be Right For You.
When it comes to hair transplantation, choosing between FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) and other methods such as FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) depends on various factors. These include the extent of hair loss, personal preferences, and your specific needs. Here are some reasons why you might consider FUE over other methods:
Advantages of FUE Hair Transplant:
- Minimally Invasive: FUE involves extracting individual hair follicles, making it a less invasive procedure compared to FUT, which involves removing a strip of scalp.
- No Linear Scar: FUE leaves behind tiny dot scars that are less noticeable than the linear scar left by FUT, making it a preferable option for those who like to keep their hair short.
- Quicker Recovery: The recovery time is generally faster with FUE because it doesn't involve sutures or a large incision.
- Versatility: FUE allows the surgeon to selectively harvest follicles, which is useful when designing a natural-looking hairline or when taking hair from various parts of the body.
- Less Postoperative Pain: Many patients report less discomfort during the recovery period as compared to other methods like FUT.
- Ideal for Smaller Sessions: FUE is often a good choice for those who do not require a large number of grafts.
Step-by-Step: What to Expect with FUE Hair Transplant
The Hair Transplant Process: A 12-Step Guide
- Mapping Your Hairline: In consultation with you, the physician (not a nurse or technician) outlines the future hairline using a surgical pen, indicating where the new follicles will be placed.
- Preparing the Donor Area: The region providing the hair follicles is assessed for scalp health, and the hair is trimmed to approximately 1-1.3mm.
- Ensuring a Sterile Environment: Given the surgical nature of the procedure, stringent sterility guidelines are followed. Your scalp is sanitized with an antiseptic solution before proceeding.
- Anesthetizing (or Numbing) the Donor Zone: The physician will provide either a mild oral or IV sedative before administering local anesthesia to the donor area. A brief moment of minor discomfort will be followed by total numbness in the donor region.
- Extraction: Fluid is injected to bolster the grafts and a mechanized punch tool is used to extract individual follicular units. The grafts are lifted out and placed in a chilled environment.
- Graft Inspection: The harvested follicles are assessed under magnifying glasses, eliminating excess tissue that could impede implantation and healing. The follicles are sorted based on the number of hairs they contain and kept cool.
- Anesthesia for the Recipient Area: The physician uses a blend of nerve block techniques, involving usually one injection above each eyebrow and several minor injections to numb the remaining targeted area. This area is then sterilized.
- Creating Recipient Sites: Small incisions are made, ranging from 0.7mm to 1.25mm in the recipient area, consistent with the predetermined design for your hairline and density. The skill involved in this step affects the final, natural appearance of the transplant.
- Meal Break: You will receive lunch in a secluded waiting zone.
- Placing the Grafts: A team of 2-3 technicians carefully place the extracted follicular units into the recipient sites using surgical tweezers. As the anesthesia still holds, this step is painless.
- Advanced Hair Serum Application: At our facility, we may use certain hair serums. The first dose is applied to the transplant area, and you're instructed to continue applications at specified intervals to promote healing and hair growth signaling.
- Final Bandaging: The donor site is loosely wrapped. You will receive guidelines on how to care for your transplant area overnight.
How Long Will A Hair Transplant Procedure take?
The duration of a hair transplant procedure can vary significantly depending on several factors:
- Extent of Hair Loss: The larger the area that needs to be covered, the longer the procedure will take.
- Number of Grafts: More grafts mean a longer procedure. Some cases may require several hundred grafts, while more severe cases may require thousands.
- Skill and Experience of the Surgeon: A more experienced surgeon may be able to perform the procedure more quickly and efficiently.
Generally speaking, a hair transplant procedure can take anywhere from 4 to 10 hours. In cases that require more grafts or have complications, the procedure might be split over two consecutive days.
Patients are usually advised to set aside an entire day for the procedure, which includes time for preparation beforehand and for resting and receiving post-operative instructions afterward.
How Long To See Results?
Expect to wait 3-4 months for new hair growth. Initially, you might notice more hair shedding, which is normal. Hair growth should occur at about 1cm per month and become more robust between 6-9 months, with full results after 12-18 months. Want to find out more? Schedule an appointment with me today
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there pain during and after the hair restoration surgery?
Generally, the most discomfort occurs at the outset when a local anesthetic is administered to your scalp. Once the anesthetic takes effect, you'll likely feel minimal pain during the initial part of the procedure where donor hair is harvested. As the anesthetic wears off, you may require additional doses to keep the target area numb during grafting. After the procedure, you may experience mild to moderate discomfort for about 12-18 hours. Pain relief medication may be taken for the first 1-2 days. If you experience ongoing pain, consult your surgeon as this may indicate an issue like infection.
Can I return to work immediately after surgery?
This is recommended only for those whose jobs are sedentary and don't require outdoor movement. Your comfort may be compromised due to lingering anesthesia effects. Post-procedure, a bandage will be applied to maintain cleanliness and you'll need a follow-up visit for bandage removal and scalp cleaning.
How long does it take to fully recover?
Optimally, one week should be enough for the donor area hair to grow and conceal the sites where hair was taken. Scabs should also begin to fall off. Adhere to the guidelines from your medical team for a recovery period of 7-14 days.
Will there be scars after the surgery?
FUE isn't a scar-free technique. Tiny scars may exist but can be hidden by hair of a certain length, around 3-5mm. If you shave your head, small, lighter-colored marks may still be visible.
What are the average costs?
In Singapore, the price ranges from SGD$6000 for simpler cases to SGD$15-20k for more complex ones. Always opt for a medical team led by a certified doctor for safest outcomes. For further queries, reach out to Terra Medical Clinic's team.
Advantages of NEOGRAFT®
The Trusted Hair Restoration System
About Dr Janna Joethy,
Dr. Janna is a Singapore plastic surgeon recognised for his aesthetic and reconstructive skills. Through his career, he’s worked on a wide range of cases, ranging from cosmetic work to microsurgery and burn related surgery.
Dr Janna is regularly invited to give talks at various conferences where he shares his experience in aesthetic and reconstruction procedures. He is well versed in the latest techniques in cosmetic surgery so that his patients can benefit from this.
Dr Janna is well known for his contouring skills ranging from mummy makeovers to liposuction. He also offers various methods for facial rejuvenation with fillers, threads or a surgical facelift. He has been invited as faculty to train other doctors in injecting fillers.
Outside of his clinical and academic work, Dr Janna often travels abroad to give back to society. He has travelled to Myanmar, Indonesia and Bangladesh where he has performed humanitarian work on the less previleged.
copyright Ⓒ 2023 Nassim Plastic surgery and aesthetics clinic. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED