Sebaceous cysts, also known as epidermoid cysts, are common noncancerous bumps that form beneath the skin's surface. Although usually harmless, they can cause discomfort, infection, and aesthetic concerns. At Nassim Plastic Surgery in Singapore, we understand the impact of sebaceous cysts on your well-being and self-confidence. In this article, we will delve into the nature of sebaceous cysts, their symptoms, management, and the importance of surgical removal when necessary.
Understanding Sebaceous Cysts
Sebaceous cysts arise from the sebaceous glands, oil-producing glands found in the skin. When these glands or their ducts become blocked or damaged, the sebum accumulates within a closed sac beneath the skin, leading to the formation of a sebaceous cyst. These cysts are typically smooth, and firm to the touch, and can vary in size, ranging from a few millimetres to several centimetres. Commonly found on the face, neck, scalp, back, or genitals, sebaceous cysts may present the following symptoms:
- A visible lump beneath the skin.
- Smooth and easily movable under the skin.
- Generally painless, unless infected.
- May slowly increase in size over time.
Managing Sebaceous Cysts
In many cases, sebaceous cysts may not require immediate medical attention and can be managed through the following steps:
- Monitor the cyst: If the cyst is small, painless, and not causing discomfort or cosmetic concerns, monitoring it over time may be sufficient as some cysts can resolve on their own.
- Avoid squeezing or popping: Refrain from attempting to squeeze or pop the cyst yourself, as this can lead to infection and potential complications.
- Practice good hygiene: Keep the area around the cyst clean and dry. Regularly washing the area with mild soap and water can help prevent infection.
- Apply warm compresses: If the cyst becomes inflamed or painful, applying warm compresses to the area several times a day can help relieve discomfort and promote drainage.
- Avoid irritants: Refrain from using harsh chemicals or cosmetic products on or near the cyst, as they can irritate the skin and worsen the condition.
- Consult a healthcare professional: Seek medical attention if the cyst causes significant discomfort, becomes infected, enlarges, or shows signs of inflammation. A healthcare professional, such as a dermatologist or a general practitioner, can evaluate the cyst and determine the best course of action.
Surgical Removal of Sebaceous Cysts
In cases where sebaceous cysts are symptomatic, recurrent, or cosmetically bothersome, surgical removal may be recommended. At Nassim Plastic Surgery, our skilled surgeons perform sebaceous cyst removal procedures under local anaesthesia. The process involves making a small incision, draining the cyst, and removing the cyst wall or capsule to prevent recurrence. Reasons for surgical removal include:
- Infection: Infected sebaceous cysts can lead to pain, swelling, and an increase in size. Surgical removal helps prevent the spread of infection.
- Recurrence: Non-surgically treated cysts often recur since complete removal of the cyst wall is essential to prevent regrowth. Surgical excision ensures thorough removal, reducing the likelihood of recurrence.
- Cosmetic Concerns: Sebaceous cysts can be visually bothersome, particularly in prominent areas. Surgical removal improves the skin's appearance and boosts self-esteem.
- Discomfort or Pain: Large or symptomatic cysts can cause discomfort, especially in areas prone to friction or pressure. Surgical removal alleviates associated discomfort.
- Rule out Malignancy: Although rare, some sebaceous cysts may develop into sebaceous carcinoma. Surgical removal allows for examination, helping to rule out malignancy.
While sebaceous cysts are generally harmless, they can cause inconvenience and impact your self-confidence. At Nassim Plastic Surgery, our expert team is equipped to manage sebaceous cysts through various methods, including surgical removal when necessary. If you have concerns about a sebaceous cyst, we recommend consulting a healthcare professional for proper evaluation and guidance on the most appropriate course of action. Rest assured that we prioritize your safety, well-being, and satisfaction, ensuring the best possible outcome for your cyst removal procedure. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and take the first step towards a more confident you.
copyright Ⓒ 2022 Nassim Plastic surgery and aesthetics clinic. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED